A book development blog for DIY Religion: constructing your own personal religion from the ground up. Below, you will find articles, segments, and strands of thought related to the book. I attempt to post every Saturday.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mithra & Old Saint Nick

Interestingly Mithra shares similarities with Jesus, as do plenty of other Gods who had their heyday prior to the birth of Christ. A woman here in the Bible Belt vehemently attacks folks who merely speak of Santa and his magical ability to deliver presents to little boys and girls. She proclaims that, "Santa ain't got nothin' to do with Christmas." Well maybe he doesn't, but I have more proof of the existence of Santa Claus than she does of Jesus. Just check under the tree at my house every X-mas morning, and I have a feeling mine isn't the only house the jolly fellow makes a stop at. There are plenty of people who feel the way this woman does, but I still can't figure out why she decorates a 'Christmas' tree year in and year out. Prophesies of pagan fire! Don't you feel the itch to follow a spiritual path unique to you?

2 comments:

  1. My GOD of choice would be a jellyfish....with tentacles....filled with chocolate soymilk. It (the GOD) would feed me soymilk infused with soy protein so I could do a great job at work to throw bags and do pat downs. My GOD is an awesome GOD! -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of Santa is a great one. It affirms faith in the goodness of people. I say, keep the X in Xmas. Followers of jesus do not have a lock on good deeds.

    ReplyDelete